Monday 27 June 2011

Farm Stay through Wwoofing in Korea

This month I've joined Korean Wwoof. Wwoof, is Word Wide Organization of Organic Farmers. I've heard about it here and there and with my interest in farming and ecology it was only a matter of when before I do it. I think it would be a perfect holiday for me so I'll be doing it during my school vacation this July and August.

I feel really good about this organization. It is a collection of organic farmers who host volunteers in exchange for their work. They give people a chance to learn about farming who ordinarily don't know much about it or do but aren't farmers. It gives support to small scale farmers who are farming ethically. It gives support to the little guys through direct action rather than waiting for governments to give subsidies to organic farming. Most people know how little support goes to a small business rather than a big business.

I have selfish reasons as well. I welcome a change from teaching and a change is as good as a vacation. I want to learn about farming and I even want to grow my own food someday.

I am a big fan of you help me and I help you.

For 50,000 won I've received a booklet and the profile of maybe 45 plus farms. I'm looking to work on farms doing different projects and to space my time between a few farms to try different things, including working with cattle, fruit trees, herbs, and preserved foods. The book is organized well in the sense that it gives you a complete profile of accomodation, the jobs, the hours of working, what is in the area, what the level of English is and the length of stay.

If any one is interested in organic farming this organization is great for those who are curious and can commit to a minimum of three days through people that are more serious.

3 comments:

  1. The farm you and I talked about - the one in Jeju, with the guy doing traditional herbal stuff - is called mulmi or mulme or something like that. It's in your book, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a place called Jeju Mulmaru that makes sauces but there is no place in the book for mulme, or is interested in herbalism with that name. I see a place in Jelleondam run by a farmer that raises animals and plants, and runs a medical herbs center. I am really interested in a place that combines my interests in raising animals and herbalism. Also, he doesn't just grow medical herbs but he might understand how they are used. I'm going to email farms tonight with my services and see where things develop from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Me and my friend are going to wwoof in Korea from mid Auguest. We want to work in Jeju and we have send some out some emails since 2 weeks ago but do not receive any feedback so far....:(
    Just wanna know if you got any host yet? and how did you contact them?

    ReplyDelete