Tuesday 21 April 2015

Paying for College Part 1: My Search for Cheap Accomodation

I need to pay for college and keep costs low so when I got a new job I looked for cheap accomodation. While I looked for a cheap apartment in Korea, I have moved into a cheap Goshiwon for who a month. Goshiwons are convenient for students and single people looking for short term accomodations. This one cost me 170,000 won for the month, which is about 150 U.S dollars.

Here is a video which shows you the room.



The bed room is small and cramped but it does the job, until I move into the new place I found. It has a shared kitchen, bathroom, and laundry area. It's been great to have internet, tv, a desk, and to not have to keep most of my things in my work area. It became really expensive as I was eating from convenience stores, which in Korea can be healthy, but they are still expensive.

Before I moved into a goshiwon I was looking for apartments in Uijeongbu. It was hard to find a place with a good location for an affordable price. I started to look at the local classified paper and learned the Korean vocabulary I needed to learn. I also found out how the housing market worked in Korea. Most importantly, I found out what was available and I didn't take anything until I found out what my options were. I moved into the goshiwon after one month of living in a sauna and then a friends couch. The day after I moved into the goshiwon, I found a place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment