Wednesday 8 May 2013

What's Growing On....

I've started a rooftop garden on my apartment as well as claiming patches of unused land for vegetables.. I have about 12 wide planters and 5 pots on my roof. Currently, I have kale, two kinds of chicory, rosemary, collard greens, strawberries, and arugula, maturing in the planters. I'll be posting updates as we go along.

I 'll be starting perilla, basil, cucumber, tomatoes, and soon.

Along side a concrete fence between my job place and a farm, I've planted over 15 Jerusalem Artichoke plants during my lunch break today. I have so many tubers I'll give them away if people can get to me before I plant them out. There is a lot of space around for them to grow. They need a lot of sun to be happy, appropriate since they are a sunflower plant.

It feels so great to be growing things. It's really grounding.

It's a step towards improving the greens in my diet which too many times comes from a lot of fossil fuel based agriculture which as many people know lacks nutrients and is sprayed with poisons.

This is my first time doing some serious gardening and I am learning as I grow. I hope to see more people growing as well so I am growing extra seedlings so people can grow too. Growing food is the easiest way in a civilization to improve your health because organic food is expensive. I am not rich and I plan on saving money on future medical expenses by growing my own food and improving my health. Wild food is the best in terms of nutrition but its possible to grow many wild foods too and I am doing that too.

But that's just my opinion. You can do whatever you want. Take care.




No comments:

Post a Comment