Sunday 19 May 2013

Wild Garden

For new gardeners it's best to grow what is easy to grow and the gardener's health will benefit from growing wild or almost wild plants. It's part of what I call wild gardening. There are many wild plants that can be grown and the focus of this will be on the one's currently on my rooftop.  I will discuss some of the new plants that I either seeded or transplanted. 

 Drought is suspected in Gangwon-do province this year, but the vegetables below can handle things on the drier side especially Purslane. They are nice chopped on in a salad as they provide crunchy and they are really hydrating. 


Purslane will handle the hot summer sun and will grow low and help to keep in moisture.

Lambsquarters, is very similar to spinach when cooked and has lots of magnesium amongst other things. I dug this up near the open spaces in weedy areas around town, where I felt they were a comfortable distance from street traffic. They grow high and will provide shade for cooler weather crops that don't like the full sun. And it will get hot this year. 



These chicory came up near the chicory I planted. When harvesting the chicory I broke off some root and it produced three more chicory. When I harvest something and it grows more plants well that's just what an organic gardener like me wants. Simplicity.  



While some of the folks around town were out partying this whole weekend, I spent two of my three day weekend working on the garden or about the house and relaxing before the workweek I did body building and I also made a lentils and rice dish into something exciting with the addition of greens from the garden and spices. It can't be a bad thing to take opportunities to relax in this stressful life, can't it?



No comments:

Post a Comment