Thursday 22 September 2011

Barley Tea (보리 차)




Barley Tea is a one of my favorite teas to drink for it's smokey flavor and its health benefits. The Japanese value it as a blood cleanser due to alkypyrazine which is present in the tea. I also feel it soothing properties.This tea uses barley still with its protective hull on it. So barley is has a protected hull over it similar to the hull on brown rice when removed makes white rice. The hull on barley has nutritional and mineral properties to it. . The hulled barley used for cooking can also be used to make mugicha. But I make Booricha because it has better flavor and medicinal value.

To make it you take the hulled barley and roast it however you can until its amber to dark brown and then I bought my barley tea loose organic and already roasted. I would have preferred to roast it myself because when a food is cooked it begins to loose nutrition but I haven't as of yet, found local unhulled organic barley.

The Koreans simmer the roasted barley for 10 minutes or until its dark amber and drink it. Some recipe I found recommened to use 2 tables/ for 5 cups. I like this concentration and it is the normal consistency from what I've had from commercial brands, but when I feel like a thicker more coffee like body, I use 3 tablespoons for 3 cups of water .

It is a natural substance so it will spoil quickly if the environment is too hot. I am storing mine in the freeer in   to keep it fresh. I've been using the bag above since last winter and its gone a long way. If I used it everyday, it would probably last me 1-2 months.

Drink up and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment