Wednesday 24 August 2011

5 Seconds of Fame

.



I was in the Chosun Ilbo yesterday. It was about Wwoofing in Korea. It was a short 300 word piece. A teacher roughly translated it for me.. The article started by saying that with worn and cut hands I was picking food. I was on the farm because in the future I want to be a farmer. 

Wwoof Korea expects 1,000 volunteers in the future for this great program.That's great. We need more farmers in this world. 

My wife proposed Sunday that we pay for organic ingredients together. Wooo! This means that we will share meals but we will be eating healthy healing foods too!


Monday 


I went shopping for organic basics. Lotte Mart is my only option at the moment but I will be participating in a CSA very soon!


First stop at the mart was buying some great vegetables. I bought 100 grams each of chicory, and three other varieties of lettuce. 


The labeling for them was easy and a good way to study Korean. 


These small anchovies are not the strong disgusting stuff that were served in the buffets when I was a kid in the states. That taste is from the processing. Dried they are very tasty when made into banchan. They are very healthy and are also very ecologically sustainable. 

I bought some. 



I went to buy organic sesame oil and organic rice vinegar and spotted organic mayonaise and ketchup too. I wonder how they compare to my delicious ketchup and mayonaise. 

I bought the sesame oil and rice vinegar and moved onto finding some happy eggs. 




However the labeling of these items of organic as really confusing. So for the moment I've held off buying them.






I got organic flour, anchovies, squid, garlic chives, organic soy sauce, organic sesame oil, and organic tofu.




Tuesday

My wife's birthday. She requested a curry a favorite of an English person. So I set out to buy a happy chicken to be part of her birthday curry.  I searched about Lotte Mart asking for the best organic chicken I could find. I found two types that come from traditional villages. I chose this smaller one for 8,000 won. Organic meat is more expensive because of higher quality. I don't want less in my body. If I could choose between 1 organic drum stick vs a a whole factory farmed chicken. I would choose the healthier drum stick anytime. That drum stick has more power.



I don't believe in the mixes so I made my own recipe out of what I had. I don't have ghee or all the spices for an indian curry so I used the following for a Korean take:

cumin
tumeric
sesame oil
garlic
garlic chives
1 tablespoon of crushed black pepper
1/4 cup of organic yogurt
4 organic long Korean green  peppers or gochu peppers
1/4 of the chicken
1/2 an onion

I chopped the chicken and marinated it in sesame oil and tumeric for 10 minutes. 

I pan fried cumin with crushed black pepper to intensify the spices for a few minutes. I put it aside. 

In a sepparate pan I fried  onion and  salt and peppers. 

Then I combined everything together with the chicken for some minutes on high heat.. I don't like my chicken to be dry so after it browned I added 1/2 cup of organic beef stock I made the other day and simmered it for 3 minutes. Then I added the yoghurt and simmered it for a few minutes. 

And Walla!

Without different colors it looks a 10th of delicious as it was. But trust me. It was brown on the outside and juicy on the inside. The taste of happy chicken is better. It has more character. 






We are with big plain salad of Korean greens.  


And a little cheesecake. There is nothing healthy about this bakery's food. But for a birthday you need cake and I don't have an oven. Maybe MeePee from Alien's Day Out can start making omnivore options. ;)



It was a positive experience to eat this with my wife and enjoy it. That's necessary too!



Wednesday

With teaching English again, I have less time to spend on organics and farming.  In the time I had,  I worked on eco-ideas for Mulme Healing Farm in my free time. I have an opportunity to eco build in the future so I'm researching for good ideas to contribute for the design. I also caught up on other reading. 

I read an article in the NYTimes that made me feel angry. It was about the new FDA regulations for farmers.  The solution to the problems of the ecoli outbreak is to require farmers to build expensive facilities to sepparate animals from the plants. However, what made me angry was that cows carry a mutated form ecoli that containminates the food. And the NYTimes quouted the FDA blaming the contamination on deer. Deer? Deer? Does this mean the regulations involve walling in nature. No the real issue is factory farming animals. If you factory farm the cows and then kill the sick animals and happen to rinse the blood from the water into your irrigation system you have a problem. But clearly this issue is being burried. 

Anyway I continued on with my day. 

I finished a great day at school and did chores around town.
I broke my meditaion into two pats so I could do a half hour between basketball with the shop owner near my apartment. We played 2 on 2 with strangers.

My heart was there but my legs weren't. I was gangly and slow. I think I'll get better in shape for it eventually. Now I'm uncoordinated and out of practice. 

When I fnished. I was hungry so I ate a salad. I did meditation at 9.I was soo tired that I literally fell asleep and my wife woke me up. I missed gumdo training, Ooops!





No comments:

Post a Comment